Tuesday 30 September 2008

Placement in Blackburn

After a day of induction, finally today i have started my official clinical placement for my first module: HLB- Heart, Lung, Blood. My first posting in Royal Blackburn Hospital is in Critical Care Unit. I had a very interesting day despite my clinical partner was absent. I did a respi and cvs examination on my own. And both were female patients!!! And clerking a patient who was uncounscious on admission. I was blank when writting the report and i didnt know what to write for chief complaint and associated systoms. Coz the patient wasnt complaint of any symptoms at all!!!
And i performed an ultrasound on the neck. I DID IT!!! all on my own with the verbal guidance from the registrar as he needs to see the vessels in the neck in order to put in the central line. Changing the direction of the probe to look at different anlge for carotid arteries and internal jugular vein.
A lot of things were very different from what we learn in medical school. In a real clinical settings, problems arised when you come into practice.
For example,
1) The pateint has both arterial lines at the radial pulse, then I had to find a space near the radial artery to palpate for the pulse....
2) The patient has kyphoscoliosis, the first time i did percussion and auscultation on the back but not in a straight line downwards. I had to follow the shape of the spine to percuss and auscultate and compare.
3) A female pateint who had aortic stenosis and i actually picked up ejection systolic murmur on my own. but then the problem is she has breasts on her chest... and then i could palpate the apex beat. but i had totally no idea how to locate it when i moved along the intercostal space coz i couldnt feel for the rib!!!
After a whole day of hard work, i kind of more appreciate that i am in Blackburn. Although i was on my own, but it's a brand new world that welcome me a lot. So i just relax and enjoy my postings for the next 13weeks...
p/s: never expect myself to adapt so quickly, hopefully this happiness would continue....
Good luck, Jooney!!!

1 comment:

Ling Min said...

U r really an excellent student! Many r still struggling to remember the examination skills on their first day but u've already done so much ahead of them! u r going to make others jealous of u! Gambateh! All the best! ;)